The origins of Highcliff Veterinary Practice can be traced from the first half of the nineteenth century, from the Grimwade family of Farriers, Horse Doctors and Insurers. They lived and worked in Kersey, and as was traditional at this time, a horse's tail hung outside the house to enable clients to recognise the trade. This still remains today hanging from the eves of a house near the ford in the village. The practice moved to Hadleigh after the Second World War. Three generations of the Lemon family (George, Alfred and Donald), worked locally from 1870 until Donald retired in 1977.
By this time the practice had grown considerably. A branch in Ipswich had been established from partner Roy Hullis' home in St Johns Rd and this moved to new premises in Cliff Lane in the early 1970s. The name was changed from Lemon, Sutherland, Ryde and partners to Highcliff Veterinary Practice, the name deriving from the premises at High Street, Hadleigh and Cliff Lane, Ipswich.
The Ipswich surgeries have been under separate ownership outwith Highcliff Veterinary Practice since the Summer of 2014 meaning the practice is now composed of branches in Hadleigh and at Factory Lane, Cattawade, Brantham near Manningtree.